National Healthcare Decisions Day exists to inspire, educate & empower the public and providers about the importance of advance care planning. National Healthcare Decisions Day is an initiative to encourage patients to express their wishes regarding healthcare and for providers and facilities to respect those wishes, whatever they may be.
- Less than 50% of the severely or terminally ill patients studied had an advance directive in their medical record.
- Only 12% of patients with an advance directive had received input from their physician in its development.
- Between 65% and 76% of physicians whose patients had an advance directive were not aware that it existed.
- 42% of Americans have had a friend or relative suffer from a terminal illness or coma in the last five years and for a majority of these people and 23% of the general public, the issue of withholding life sustaining treatment came up.
- An overwhelming majority of the public supports laws that give patients the right to decide whether they want to be kept alive through medical treatment.
- By more than 8-to-1 (84%-10%), the public approves of laws that let terminally ill patients make decisions about whether to be kept alive through medical treatment.
- One of the most striking changes between 1990 and 2005 is the growth in the number of people who say they have a living will – up 17 points, from 12% in 1990 to 29% now.
All adults can benefit from thinking about what their healthcare choices would be if they are unable to speak for themselves. These decisions can be written down in an advance directive so that others know what they are. Download our brochure about Advance Directives and Long-Term Care.
THA Group is unlike any local in-home care provider. Created with our clients in mind, we offer a full continuum of health care services…all in the comfort of home. Our home care expertise combined with technology helps provide our clients with the highest quality of in-home care.
We realize that it is a privilege to serve clients in their homes. Therefore, we ensure we are sending only the best care providers into the home. Our team of clinicians, caregivers and support staff have years of experience and training in their specialized fields. Many people ask for our care team members by name because of their reputation in the community.
We are pleased to offer the following services:
- Medical Home Health Care – Island Health Care
- Non-Profit Hospice Care – Island Hospice
- Life Care Assistance – Independent Life at Home
- Eldercare Management – Ideal Aging
- Home Health Telemonitoring – Virtual Care
- Chronic Disease Management – RightHealth™
- News, information, stories and resources pertaining to general health care, as well as home care and hospice – Our Blog